- This event has passed.
Spring General Assembly 2018
April 6, 2018 - April 7, 2018
CBF/GA and First Baptist Church, Griffin, invite all to gather Friday–Saturday, April 6-7 for Spring General Assembly!
Individuals Register Here
This year’s theme is “Opening Doors,” and our worship, breakouts, and fellowship will expand on this focus on reaching out and extending our witness in our communities and in our state and world. We will be ending an era in CBF/GA life as we celebrate the retirement of Frank Broome after twenty years as Executive Coordinator. All are invited to join the celebration at 5:00 p.m. Friday evening, when we will honor Frank with a festive dinner and then hear him bring the message, “The Way Home,” during evening worship. We also open the door on a new era for CBF/GA, as we officially welcome Jody Long as Executive Coordinator.
Jody will dialogue with us following breakfast on Saturday morning, and we look forward to that time of hearing from him and his hearing from the good folks of CBF/GA. Check-in for Spring General Assembly will begin at 12:30 p.m. on Friday at First Baptist Church, Griffin. The afternoon offers two sessions of breakouts, staff network meetings, and the pastors’ gathering, along with time to renew friendships and visit the Resource Fair. A dessert reception will follow worship on Friday night. Saturday morning following breakfast and time with Jody Long, Baptist Women in Ministry of Georgia will lead in worship, followed by the BWIM annual lunch and awards time. We hope that you will take part in all of the weekend’s activities!
Reservations are necessary for all meals and will be made when you register for the Spring General Assembly. Payment for meals is expected when you arrive at First Baptist, Griffin, for the Assembly. Meal costs are as follows: Friday’s Frank Broome retirement dinner $15, Saturday breakfast $10, and Saturday BWIM lunch $10. All meal reservations must be made by Thursday, March 29.
Childcare will be available by advance reservation for Friday afternoon and evening and for Saturday morning through closing worship. If you require childcare, please contact Renée Bennett at email@example.com or 478-731-6139 by Thursday, March 29, for details and to register.
Exhibitors/Vendors Register Here
FRANK BROOME recently retired after twenty years as Executive Coordinator of CBF/GA. Frank graduated from Mercer University with a BA in History and Christianity and received his M.Div. from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky. He did postgraduate study in social work at the University of Louisville. He lives in Macon with his wife Susan Gardner Broome, and they have three adult children and two granddaughters.
MARTY WATTS is Minister of Music at First Baptist Church, Griffin, Georgia. Marty has served in Griffin since 2004, having earned Bachelor and Master’s degrees in Church Music from Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama. At First Baptist, Marty plans and leads worship services, directs choral and instrumental ensembles, and oversees the Griffin School for the Arts. Beyond that, he sings with The CenturyMen, is assistant director of Griffin Choral Arts, plays cello, and teaches with the Griffin School for the Arts. Mary is married to Karyn and they have a young son.
LEANN GUNTER JOHNS is a hospice chaplain in Macon, Georgia. She is a graduate of McAfee School of Theology and has served in churches in California and Georgia. LeAnn is a member of First Baptist Church of Christ in Macon. She is married to Barry Johns and has two children, Parker and Patrick. She has served on the leadership team of Baptist Women in Ministry and has served in various roles for Baptist Women in Ministry of Georgia, including president.
OSSIE MCKINNEY has served in music ministry all of her life. She is a worshiper whose life’s purpose is to glorify God. She is the wife of Elder Charles McKinney, Jr. and mother of Khrystyn, Mysty, Nolan, Treylyn, and Xavier. She serves as that served in music ministry all of her life. She is a worshiper whose life’s purpose is to glorify God. She serves as the Minister of Music at Faith Baptist Church located in Atlanta, GA. While serving as wife, mother, and worship leader, she is also a student at Liberty University, where she is working to obtain the Doctor of Worship Studies degree.
Friday, April 6
- 10 a.m. Coordinating Council Meeting and Lunch
- 10:30-11:30 Exhibit set up in Gym
- 12:30 p.m. Registration opens at First Baptist, Griffin
- 12:30 p.m. Student Orientation
- 1:30 – 2:45 p.m. Network Gatherings, Pastors’ Gathering, and Breakouts (Session 1)
- 2:45 p.m. Break and Resource Fair
- 3:15-4:30 p.m. Breakouts – Session 2
- 5:00–6:30 p.m. Retirement Dinner in Morgan Hall honoring Frank Broome (Reservations required)
- 6:45 p.m. Pre-service music in Sanctuary
- 7:00 p.m. Business Session followed by Worship
- 8:30-9:30 p.m. Dessert Reception in Gym (Resource Fair area)
Saturday, April 7
- 8:00 a.m. Registration opens
- 8:30 a.m. Breakfast in Morgan Hall (Reservations required)
- 9:00-10:15 a.m. Dialogue with Jody Long, new CBF/GA Executive Coordinator, in Morgan Hall
- 10:15-10:45 a.m. Break and final Resource Fair opportunity
- 10:45-11:15 a.m. Exhibit takedown
- 10:45-11:45 a.m. Closing Worship in sanctuary, sponsored by BWIM of GA
- 12:00 noon Lunch and BWIM of GA Awards in Morgan Hall (Reservations required)
- Chaplains and Pastoral Counselors – Gerry Hutchinson, CBF Global Chaplaincy and Pastoral Counseling Manager
- Children’s Ministry – Katie Faison, Minister to Children, Central Baptist, Newnan
- Pastors’ Gathering – Matt Marston, Pastor, Trinity Baptist, Moultrie
- Youth Ministry – Ryan Wilson, Minister to Missions and Students, Second-Ponce de Leon Baptist, Atlanta
Offered variously in two sessions on Friday, 1:30-2:45 p.m. and 3:15-4:30 p.m.
- A Conversation about Poverty – hosted by the CBF/GA Missions Committee
- A to Z on Stewardship and Church Tax Issues – Lamar Barden, Peachtree Tax Advisors, Rome
- Addressing the Needs of the Isolated Elderly in Our Churches – Sara Robb, Associate Pastor of Ministry with Aging, Scott Boulevard Baptist, Atlanta
- Bible Study – David Sapp, writer, speaker, retired pastor
- Christian Leadership Formation – Daniel Vestal, Distinguished Professor and Director of the Eula Mae and John Baugh Center for Baptist Leadership, Mercer University
- Embracing and Advancing a Jesus Worldview – John Pierce, Executive Editor and Publisher, Nurturing Faith
- Prayer Experiences: Seeking God with Quiet Creativity – Karen Harwell, member, Second-Ponce de Leon Baptist, Atlanta
- BWIM of Georgia will sponsor an area with Prayer Stations. These stations will be available throughout the weekend.
HOTEL OPTIONS FOR SGA (NO ROOMS ARE BLOCKED):
- Country Inn and Suites (770-228-9799)
- Comfort Inn and Suites (770-233-4747)
- Quality Inn (770-229-6001)
- Comfort Suites (678-827-7700)
- LaQuinta Inn and Suites (678-583-0004)
- Red Roof Inn (678-583-0004)
- Ramada Inn (770-898-1216)