Come Back to St. Simons Island with Us! September 26-28, 2021
After a successful virtual Senior Adult Retreat last year, hosted by First Baptist Church, Dalton, we will be returning to Saint Simons Island and First Baptist Church, for an IN PERSON retreat!
You may also email Melissa Kremer at firstname.lastname@example.org to register a group.
Tentative Retreat Schedule
Sunday, September 26
- 6:30-8:00 p.m. – Check-in and Cake Fellowship at FBC, SSI
Monday, September 27
- 9:00 am – Check-in for late arrivers
- 9:30 – 11:00 a.m. – Gathering Time in Sanctuary
- 11:15 a.m. – Breakout Session I
- 12:00– Lunch and brief program in Fellowship Hall
- Monday afternoon – free time to relax and enjoy the beach and village of SSI
- 6:45 p.m. – Music and Retreat Worship in the sanctuary, followed by an Ice Cream Fellowship in the Fellowship Hall
Tuesday, September 28
- 9:00 a.m. – Breakout Session II
- 10:15 a.m. – Closing Retreat Worship and Communion
Lodging may fill up quickly! A block of rooms is reserved for CBF/GA at The Inn by the Lighthouse for $139 per room per night. Call 912-638-1101 to make reservations. Epworth by the Sea is currently being used to house workers dismantling the overturned ship, so lodging there is currently unavailable. Epworth may be available around September 1.
Other suggested lodging:
- Hampton Inn SSI, 912-634-2204
- Holiday Inn Express, 912-634-2175
- Home2Suites by Hilton SSI, 912-638-0333
- Queens Court Inn SSI, 912-268-4966
- Best Western Plus SSI, 912-638-7805
- Ocean Inn and Suites SSI, 912-634-2122
Ruth DuCharme is Associate Pastor of Faith Formations for Families at Highland Hills Baptist Church in Macon, Georgia. She is currently pursuing certification as a spiritual director through the Haden Institute for Spiritual Direction. Ruth has written children’s curriculum for her church and for Smyth & Helwys and has led numerous small group studies and retreats. Ruth grew up in Newnan, Georgia, around her family’s barbecue restaurant, Sprayberry’s BBQ. She studied church music at Tift College and at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
Below you will find recordings of last year’s Senior Adult Retreat Worship service and four Breakouts!
Each of these are loaded on our new CBF/GA YouTube channel. You don’t need a YouTube account to watch them; simply click the link and begin viewing at your leisure.
This year, there were four, pre-recorded breakout sessions which we hope you’ll find informative and good.
Led by Jonathan Barlow, Pastor, FBC Dalton
Writing for You and Others: Telling Your Life Story in Journaling and Narrative
Led by Millicent Austell Flake, retired media specialist, author and member of FBC Dalton
- Millicent will bring her years of expertise as a writer to us as we learn how to share our life’s story, both for ourselves and our loved ones.
- Here is a handout to accompany the breakout session: Telling Your Story, Millicent Flake
I Will Sing the Wondrous Story: An Old-Fashioned Hymn Sing
Led by Erin Keel Clarke, Minister of Music, and Ellee Hilley, Minister of Worship Arts, FBC Griffin
- Join us for a good, old-fashioned hymn sing as Erin Clarke and Ellee Hilley lead us in wonderful hymns of our faith.
- Here is handout of the hymn lyrics for the hymn sing: Virtual Hymn Sing Lyrics – CBF:GA edition
Cat-Cow, Pigeon, Eagle, and Warrior: Chair Yoga for Meditation and Exercise
Led by Ann Smith, Macon spiritual director and certified yoga instructor
- Ann Smith will lead us in learning some basic chair yoga poses and techniques. This is a perfect breakout for those who want to move more but may have some limitations.